Access Keys:

 
 
Edmund Rice College, Glengormley

School History

From Hardinge Street To Hightown Road

Dr Dorrian, Bishop of Down and Connor made many requests to the Superior General of the Christian Brothers for a community of brothers to conduct a school in Belfast. On November 3rd 1866, Brothers Louis Caton, Thomas Neaton, Alipius Maguire and John Ennis, arrived in Belfast to form the community. They opened St Mary’s Divis St on the 12th November. Such was the demand for places St Patrick’s Donegal St was opened in 1867.

Hardinge Street was opened in 1903 by the Brothers with Br Craven as Headmaster. It was to function as a Trades Preparatory School for Catholic boys. The schools success was shown by its ability to place large numbers of boys in positions of work every year. It spoke volumes for the training and quality of education they received. Boys taught in the school have distinguished themselves in every walk of life and reflected honour on their teachers.

With the closure of Hardinge Street the staff and pupils transferred to the Park Lodge site on the Antrim Road in 1972 with Br Quillan as Headmaster. With limited resources and in a time of great civil unrest, the staff provided the necessary atmosphere for pupils, which led to continued exam success. Br J Murphy took over as principal with Mr Gerry McGuiness as Vice-Principal. The school moved to the new premises at Hightown Road in September 1977. Here the staff of the school have provided an atmosphere of friendliness and warmth which characterises the pupil-teacher and parent-teacher relationships. The standards of Hardinge Street have been maintained with continued exam success and large numbers of pupils gaining places of employment.